Sunday 26 August 2007

Crochet Instructions - Snowman

Watching my daughter’s mounting expectation as her granny crocheted her new toy ... brought back flooding memories of crochet instructions

being given to the weekly crew of ladies wishing to master the art of crochet...

My mom used to run this 12 week program that had 6 to 8 ladies show up in our living room once a week to learn the finer points of crochet.

The first week was always the same...loads of enthusiasm and ooohhhhs and aaaahhhs as they looked at the 12 projects they would make...cute toys, toilet paper covers (dare I say a little dated these days) etc. But I knew what was coming ...

Usually the first week wasn’t bad as the project was really a simple one incorporating the basic slip knot, a chain and a single crochet...nothing too tough..

Then came week two mmmmm. Things were about to become interesting...fun even at least for me. They learnt to do more complex things and then got to finish it for homework.

I don’t know about you but I really hated homework and the ladies were about to discover the same thing. The next week they would either proudly or sheepishly present their crochet projects depending whether they had completed it or not. My mom would inspect the projects carefully ... and then there was at least one scream of anguish as my mom made someone pull out all the crochet stitches until they came to the error she had just discovered... then they got to fix it...mom wasn’t that mean she did help them to get their project back to a healthy state.

Those days I definitely wanted to avoid the same fate that those ladies had chosen and thus didn’t bother to learn from my mom.

Now looking at my daughter waiting excitedly for her toy I wish I had taken the time...could it be time to take crochet instructions and make toys for my daughter.


No comments: